Looking for simple side dish for tonight’s dinner? Well this traditional Croatian vegetable stew recipe is a great option that pairs nicely with most main meals.
Traditional Croatian Sataraš Recipe
This easy saute vegetable stew is known as Sataraš, a traditional Croatian recipe consisting of bell peppers, tomatoes, onions and garlic. Prepared on the stovetop, it comes together in less than 30 minutes making it a great side dish option.
Mildly flavored veggies, sataraš is a dish best served alongside a plate of cooked garlic sausage, fried chicken or schnitzel. The veggies are sauteed until softened over a low to medium heat forming a smooth thick textured broth, less watery than a traditional stew recipe.
Simple Sauteed Vegetable Stew Recipe
- 4 medium sized bell peppers, sliced or cubed (red, orange, yellow and fewer green)
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1 large tomatoe, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Vegeta optional
- Saute onion and garlic cloves with a dash of salt and pepper each on low heat until onion is translucent. The salt helps to bring the color out of the onion.
- Add sliced peppers and mix. Continue to saute for 10 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- If using tomato paste instead of diced tomatoes, melt 2 tablespoons with 1 cup water and pour over the vegetable mixture.
- Continue cooking over medium heat until the peppers take on a soft texture.
- For added flavor, add Vegeta to the mixture.
More Tasty Side Dishes to Try
In addition to this delicious saute vegetable stew recipe, we have plenty of other side dish favorites worth trying. Check out any one of these tasty options for your meal planning this week.
- Cooked Flat Beans and Tomatoes
- Red Cabbage Coleslaw
- Simple frozen perogies with bread crumbs
- Maple bacon brussel sprouts
Like it? Pin it for later!