Beautiful braided bread recipe. How’s that for an alliteration? Somewhat of a work of art, this is one delicious loaf of bread that you almost feel bad about cutting in to…almost.
Homemade Braided Bread Loaf Recipe
I say almost, that is, but not quite since it’s just so darn tasty with it’s spongy, soft center and perfectly golden crust. Lightly brushing the dough with an egg and water mixture gives the loaves a beautifully shiny golden finish.
Soon after the loaves have cooled a touch, they are pretty much devoured in our household. After all, isn’t enjoying freshly baked bread one of life’s little pleasures?
We shared a few homemade bread recipes on the blog such as our grandma’s classic white bread recipe as well as our pull-apart Christmas tree dinner rolls, our Italian loaf recipe, sweet bread buns and homemade dinner rolls.
Braided Bread Recipe
- Stand mixer
- Combine yeast ingredients (1.5 tbsp yeast;1 cup warm milk;1 tsp sugar) in a cup and leave it to sit for a couple of minutes.
- In the meantime, place flour and salt in a mixing bowl and mix together.
- Add yeast mixture to flour mixture.
- Add 1 cup warm milk and oil and continue mixing.
- Dough needs to be firm so if you find the dough appears sticky, add more flour to firm up the dough.
- Mix for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from bowl and knead by hand for 2-3 minutes on a floured surface.
- Leave for 1 hour covered with a paper towel.
- Knead again for another 2-3 minutes.
- Leave for ½ hour covered with a paper towel.
- When double the size, divide dough into 6 parts for making two loaves in a 9×13 pan.
- Lengthen the dough to about 40cm long.
- Work 3 strands and braid the dough loosely together to form one loaf. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Place in a parchment lined pan greased lightly with oil. Separate the two loaves down the center with parchment paper. Grease the loaves on all sides.
- Brush on one beaten egg with 1 tbsp water.
- Optional – add sesame seeds over the loaf after brushing on the egg mixture.
- Add 2-3 cups of water in an oven-safe dish and place inside oven on a separate rack. This will give the bread a shiny appearance.
- Bake at 385F for 30 minutes. Loaves should be golden colored on to the top.
Got leftover bread?
Did you know you can make your own bread crumbs at home? Check out this simple post for making homemade bread crumbs that you can then use for making these delicious frozen perogies and steamed cauliflower.
Like it? Pin it for later!