Need a quick yet filling weeknight side dish idea? Turn to the freezer with this easy frozen perogies recipe with a buttery bread crumb topping!
Frozen Perogies (Pierogies) to the Rescue!
My kids tend to be picky eaters so you can imagine how excited I was to discover that they all like perogies! I don’t have the skills to make them from scratch which is why I’m grateful to be able to find them in the frozen food section at the grocery store.
We all really enjoy either the bacon and potato or cheese and potato varieties. I love that these frozen pierogies are simple to prepare which I’m making other parts of the meal. Our crispy breaded chicken is always a hit alongside the toasted perogies.
The frozen perogis are also quite inexpensive to buy. A couple of bags are perfect for feeding a crowd during a party or get-together.
Ingredients Needed for this Frozen Perogies Dish
This simple side dish idea needs just 3 ingredients:
- frozen perogies of your choice (4-5 per person is plenty)
- bread crumbs (plain or Italian seasoned)
- butter, margarine or a little oil
How to Cook Frozen Perogies
Bring water in a medium to large pot to boil.
Add frozen perogies to the boiling water and cook about 7-10 minutes, until the perogis float to the top of the water.
Drain the perogies or scoop out of the water with a slotted spoon.
How to Coat Perogis with Breadcrumbs
In the meantime, heat butter/oil to medium heat in a large frying pan.
Add perogies to the melted butter in the frying pan in a single layer. You may need to do a couple of batches if cooking a lot of perogies.
Sprinkle with bread crumbs to coat. Fry for 1-2 minutes until golden brown then flip to the other side. Sprinkle again and fry for another 1-2 minutes.
That’s it! Our simple recipe for how to make frozen perogies taste better!
For best results, be sure to serve it while warm. On their own, homemade pierogies are great with a dollop of sour cream sprinkled with bacon bits or your favorite dipping sauce.
What to Serve with this Frozen Pierogies Side Dish
Frozen perogies make a simple side dish for any meal where you’d consider adding potatoes, pasta or rice. We often serve them alongside:
- our breaded fried chicked or grilled chicked shish kabobs;
- with some steamed cauliflower sprinkled in breadcrumbs, or a side of steamed brocolli;
- a fresh salad such as cabbage or simple spring salad mix.
How to Store Leftover Cooked Perogies
Once cooked, frozen perogies are best enjoyed right away. If you do have some leftovers, place them in a sealed container in the fridge. Use up within 3 days.
Other Simple Side Dish Recipes:
- non-creamy potato salad – make a large batch and enjoy for days
- fresh homemade white bread – we make this several times a week
Simple Frozen Perogies with Breadcrumbs
- Large cooking pot
- 16 frozen perogies of your choice
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs plain or Italian seasoned
- 1/4 cup butter, margarine or vegetable oil
- Bring water in cooking pot to boil.
- Add frozen perogies and cook about 7-10 minutes, until perogis float to the top.
- Drain the perogies.
- In the meantime, heat butter/oil in a large frying pan.
- Add perogies to the frying pan in one layer.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs to coat. Fry for 1-2 minutes then flip to the other side. Sprinkle again and fry for another 1-2 minutes.
Like it? Pin it for later!
Thursday 28th of January 2021
I love perogies! Even better crispy with breadcrumbs. This is a delicious easy weeknight meal.
Thursday 21st of January 2021
Perfectly Steamed Cauliflower with Bread Crumbs - Sustain My Cooking Habit
Sunday 19th of July 2020
[…] weight loss and digestion. Unlike other side dishes such as our non-creamy potato salad and cooked perogies which are higher in starch content (yet still very delicious!), cauliflower is a great non-starchy […]
Ultimate Non-Creamy Pasta Salad Recipe - Sustain My Cooking Habit
Saturday 20th of June 2020
[…] Frozen perogies with bread crumbs […]
Homemade Bread Crumbs Recipe - Sustain My Cooking Habit
Friday 12th of June 2020
[…] You wouldn’t think bread crumbs would come in handy as much as they do. But only quick look through our posted recipes, we see bread crumbs are used in several homestyle food recipes such as this crispy chicken strips recipe and frozen perogies with bread crumbs. […]