Shaped like classic sugar cookies, these delightful cookies made with honey have the added flavor of holiday spices and topped with a smooth crisp icing.
Iced Honey Cookies to Make and Enjoy!
These sweet honey cookies are similar to gingerbread cookies with their soft and chewy texture, thickness as well as the aromatic spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg. They are a lot like our traditional Croatian medenjaci cookies and enjoyable alongside a cup of coffee or tea. The hardened icing on top is a treat for the kids both big and small.
Honey Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pack vanilla sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 egg white at room temp
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Mix butter and sugar together using a flat beater until sugar is dissolved.
- Add 3 eggs and continue mixing all together.
- Add honey and continue mixing.
- In the meantime, combine flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg.
- Add to the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and continue mixing until all combined.
- Remove the dough and knead by hand on a lightly floured surface for 2 minutes.
- Roll into a log shape, wrap in parchment paper and place in the fridge to cool for an hour. Divide the dough in to two parts to make a smaller portion at a time.
- Remove from the fridge and roll out 6-8mm high on a floured surface.
- Use cookie cutters to cut into shapes and place them on a non-stick baking sheet (or a parchment lined sheet).
- Bake in the oven at 355F for 10-12 minutes.
- As they cool, the cookies will harden but over time (a couple of days), they will soften and become chewy. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
- Beat 1 egg white with a fork and when bubbles appear, add 1 cup icing sugar slowly. Continue mixing.
- Can add water to the icing mixture to make the icing thinner.
- Add food coloring if desired.
- Decorate the cookies with piping and leave them to set. The icing will harden.
Other Dessert Recipes made with Honey
Using honey for baking is a delicious way to add sweetness to your recipes. We’ve also used honey to make this layered honey cake and these traditional Croatian biscuits, known as medenjaci.
More Cookie Recipes to Enjoy
There’s plenty of delicious homemade cookie recipes to try alongside these honey sugar cookies:
- Easy Sugar Cookie and Frosting Recipe
- Crescent Moon Cookies
- Zucchini Cookies
- Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
- M&M Valentine Cookies
Like it? Pin it for later!