Homemade sweet sugar cookies during the holidays is an absolute must for our family, it just wouldn’t be Christmas without! So today, we’re sharing our go-to recipe for making traditional sugar cookies with an easy to make sugar cookie frosting.
Homemade Sugar Cookie Frosting Recipe
Once they’re all baked and cooled, the fun part begins with decorating the sugar cookies using a sweet and smooth frosting! The large batch of frosting can be divided into as many individual batches of frosting as desired depening on how many colors you wish to use.
In our case, we kept the colors minimal with just a small drop of red and green to create a soft, muted frosting color. Once decorated, store the cookies in an air-tight container in the fridge until ready to serve and enjoy!
Easy Sugar Cookie Frosting Recipe
Sugar Cookie Ingredients
- 3 egg whites at room temperature
- pinch salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or orange juice
Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Combine allof the sugar cookie ingredients in a large bowl. Mix together to make dough.
- If dough is too sticky, add a bit more flour.
- Divide dough in two and roll out the dough on a floured surface until 1/4" thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut shapes and transfer to a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 13 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Beat egg whites and a pinch of salt on medium speed in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- When the egg mixture starts to get white and forms a rim, add 2 cups of powdered sugar, 2 tbsp lemon juice (or orange juice) and switch high speed. Continue mixing until you achieve a thicker consistency that will pipe well.
- Divide royal icing into different bowls. Add 1 drop of food color to start for muted colors. The more dye you add, the deeper and more saturated the frosting color.
- Use piping tips or cut a small hole in the bag to decorate the sugar cookies.
More Cookie Recipes to Try
With plenty of delicious homemade cookie recipes to try over the holidays, here are just a few of our favorite cookies to make:
- Marbled Christmas Sugar Cookies
- Snow Capped Pecan Shortbread Cookies
- Hershey Kiss Cookie Recipe
- Coconut Crescent Moon Cookies
- Jam Filled Linzer Cookie
- Croatian Skoljkice Shell Cookies
Thanks so much for stopping by to visit. We’d love to know what are some of your favorite go-to cookie recipes during the holidays?
Like it? Pin it for later!