Today we’re sharing the recipe for making traditional Croatian biscuits, known as medenjaci; sweet and soft honey cookies that pair perfectly along side a cup of tea or coffee.
Classic Croatian Medenjaci or Honey Cookies
These sweet honey cookies hold their rounded shape and at first glance, one would expect them to be a hard biscuit but in fact have a soft and chewy texture. After dipping the cookies into a smooth white glaze; made from a mix of egg whites, powdered sugar and lemon; the cookies are placed back in the oven on a low heat to dry the glaze fully. Once removed, the cookies are cooled completely and soften as they sit.
Considered an inexpensive, budget-friendly cookie recipe simply because they require no butter or oil to bake. Athough shaped into a rosary, my mother recalls buying them from local vendors every Sunday after church and enjoying them during her walk home.
If making extra or have more than you need; these medenjaci Croatian biscuits freeze really well. Simply place them inside an air-tight freezer safe container to store for later. And since they freeze well, they can be made a head of time before any gatherings or parties.
Croatian Biscuits: Medenjaci Recipe
- 1 egg white
- 1 ¼ powdered sugar
- juice from one lemon
- Mix eggs and sugar using a Kitchen Aid or electric mixer.
- Add honey.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cinnamon).
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and continue mixing.
- When well combined, remove dough from bowl and knead dough by hand for 2 minutes. Divide dough into two and wrap with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Remove dough from the fridge and break into walnut sized balls, rolling each one in your hands until round and smooth.
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 14-15 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the oven and leave to cool down just enough that you can handle it.
- Whisk by hand the egg whites and sugar until sugar dissolves.
- Slowly add lemon juice and continue mixing.
- Dip cookies into the glaze and place back on the baking sheet to bake for another 25-30 minutes at 200F in order to dry the glaze.
- Remove from the oven and let the biscuits cool completely.
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
Like it? Pin it for later!