A simple steamed cauliflower with a tasty bread crumb topping is the perfect side dish to most any meal.
Delicious Steamed Cauliflower Side Dish
Cauliflower is naturally high in fiber and water making it a good option for enhancing weight loss and digestion. Unlike other side dishes such as our non-creamy potato salad and cooked perogies which are higher in starch content (yet still very delicious!), cauliflower is a great non-starchy vegetable meal idea.
We prefer to use plain bread crumbs over Italian or other flavoured bread crumbs as they alter the taste of the cauliflower. Additionally, you can also use panko bread crumbs although you won’t get the lovely golden color we have showing on our steamed cauliflower. Did you know you can make your own bread crumbs at home?
How to Steam Cauliflower
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Should you chose to purchase through these links we make a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure here.
Steaming cauliflower or other vegetables for that matter can be done a few different ways. Using an electric vegetable steamer / rice cooker is one option or using a stainless steel double boiler which we typically use for all our steaming needs. You can even use your Instant Pot for steaming vegetables although I have yet to try this myself.
How Long to Steam Cauliflower
Cauliflower tastes best when steamed just until they are tender but still has a crunch to them. Typically, that takes about 5-7 minutes cooked over a medium to high heat.
Easy Steamed Cauliflower with a Bread Crumb Topping
- 1 head cauliflower, cut in to florets
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp butter (or vegetable oil)
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Steam Cauliflower
- Cut the cauliflower into small to medium sized florets.
- Fill the bottom of a medium sized cooking pot with 2 inches of water.
- Place the cauliflower florets inside a double boiler and stack it on top of the cooking pot.
- Cover with a lid and steam over medium-high heat.
- Steam for about 5-7 minutes until the cauliflower is tender but still has a crunch.
- Remove steamed cauliflower from the double boiler.
Adding the Bread Crumbs Topping
- Once cauliflower is steamed fully, heat butter/oil to medium heat in a large frying pan.
- Add steamed cauliflower to the frying pan.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs to coat. Fry for 1-2 minutes then flip to the other side. Sprinkle again and fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Like it? Pin it for later!