A delicious and hearty meal idea, this easy to make cabbage soup recipe makes for a complete and satisfying meal option with plenty of possible variations to make each batch new and unique.
Cabbage Soup with Meat
Using savoy cabbage, potatoes, carrots and onions along with a few other key ingredients, to make a delicious and satisfying cabbage soup. If you prefer to keep this as a vegetarian soup then skip the addition of the meat. Otherwise, there are plenty of meat options to add, such as pork, beef and chicken or turkey.
This recipe is a great way to use up leftover meat especially after the holidays. You could use leftover ham, leftover turkey or chicken, smoked bacon, or italian sausage just to name a few options.
- Large Soup Cooking Pot
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cooking onions finely chopped
- 2 tbsp oil vegetable or canola
- ½ large head of Savoy Cabbage cut into small pieces
- 2 potatoes cut into small cubes
- 1 large carrot cut into small pieces
- 1 lb chopped pork or beef or chicken/turkey leftover ham, leftover turkey or chicken, smoked bacon, italian sausage
- 3 L water
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour, unbleached
- 3 tbsp oil vegetable or canola
- If using raw/uncooked meat, chop meat into small pieces and then sautee until lightly cooked (about 5-7 minutes).
- If using cooked meat leftovers, chop into small pieces and continue with the cabbage soup recipe.
- In a large cooking pot, sautee onions and garlic in oil for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped cabbage, potatoes and carrots.
- Add chopped (cooked) meat.
- Season with salt and pepper (can also use Vegeta seasoning).
- Sautee for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add 3L water. Let simmer for about 40 minutes (until cabbage and potatoes are soft).
- In a small saucepan, add 2 tbsp flour to 3 tbsp oil to create a roux. Stir over medium heat until golden brown. Pour 2-3 ladlefulls of soup mixture into saucepan and mix until completely dissolved. Add the roux to the soup.
- Simmer slowly for another 7-10 minutes.
Can You Freeze Cabbage Soup?
Serve immediately when ready or prepare in advance for the next day. This soup as with most other soups will be even more flavorful as a leftover meal idea.
If you have enough leftover, this soup can definitely be stored in the freezer in an air tight container for later use.
What to Serve with Cabbage Soup?
Since this soup is complete with vegetables and protein, serving it along side some fresh bread, either this traditional homemade white loaf, these homemade buns or this classic pull apart dinner rolls, is all that is needed.
Like it? Pin it for later!