A smooth orange buttercream filling layered between two cookies and dipped in melted semi-sweet chocolate make up these adorable sandwich cookies a real treat.
Orange and Chocolate Sandwich Cookies Recipe
We love the combination of zesty orange and sweet chocolate, which is why these sandwiches cookies are such a hit in our house. The crumbly cookie with the soft orange butter cream in the middle and thin layer of chocolate make for a perfect taste sensation.
The trick to making these sandwich cookies is keeping the size and shape of the spoonfuls of cookie dough as consistent as possible. You can do this by eye taking your time to get them about the same size or for more control, you can pipe the dough through a pastry bag fitted with large closed star tip.
Chocolate Dipped Sandwich Cookies
- Stand Mixer or Electric Hand Mixer
- ½ cup butter or margarine softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
Chocolate for Dipping
- 4 squares 1 ounce each semisweet chocolate
- 1 tbsp shortening or butter
Orange Butter Cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp softened butter
- 1 ½ tsp orange juice
- ½ tsp grated orange peel
- In medium bowl, beat butter, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add flour and beat until well mixed.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and wrap it in parchment paper. Refrigerate the dough until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Drop dough by level teaspoons 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets or pipe through pastry bag fitted with large closed star tip.
- Bake 8 – 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cookies cool 1 minute before removing them from cookies sheets to wire racks to cool completely.
Prepare Chocolate for Dipping
- In a small heavy saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate and shortening. Stir to blend.
- Dip the top of each cookie in the melted chocolate mixture. Place on waxed paper; let stand until chocolate sets.
Prepare Orange Buttercream
- Combine powdered sugar, butter, orange juice and zest together in a mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Place slightly rounded ½ teaspoon of butter cream on flat side of half the cookies.
- Top with remaining chocolate dipped cookies, flat side down, forming sandwiches.
Like it? Pin it for later!
Cookies, Cookies and more Cookies!
For more delicious cookie recipes, check out these great options ranging from traditional Croatian cookies to easy to make cake mix cookies:
- Croatian Skoljkice Shell Cookies
- Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
- Croatian Kiflice Jam Filled Crescent Cookies
- Waffle Cookies
- Snow Capped Pecan Shortbread Cookies
- Cherry Almond Sugar Cookies