This easy to make carrot cake recipe guarantees a sweet, delicious and moist dessert with a tangy smooth cream cheese frosting that all will enjoy.
Grandma’s Easy Carrot Cake Recipe
The classic combination of a sweet carrot cake with the tanginess of a cream cheese frosting is a tried and true recipe our family has been indulging in for years.
While the cream cheese frosting is delicious, our kids actually prefer it without. If we’re really feeling fancy, we simply sprinkle some icing sugar on top.
The kids love this baked (healthier) treat for an afternoon snack. And we love to indulge in a piece with a fresh cup of coffee or delicious afternoon tea.
Carrot Cake Recipe Variations
For additional flavor options, consider adding raisins, shredded coconut or chopped walnuts to the carrot cake batter before baking.
When preparing the frosting, ensure that the cream cheese as well as the butter are soft. Remove from the fridge prior to preparing to allow the ingredients enough time to soften at room temperature.
Before adding the creamy frosting, be sure to wait until the carrot cake cools completely. Afterwards, place the frosted carrot cake in the fridge and store it there until you’re ready to serve.
Best Ever Carrot Cake Recipe
- stand mixer or electric mixer
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Grease a 9”x13” glass pan.
- Preheat the oven to 365F.
- Shred carrots.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Using a stand mixer or electric mixer, beat eggs for 2-3 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and mix until sugar is fully dissolved.
- Slowly pour oil into the egg and sugar mixture. Continue mixing for a few minutes until ingredients are well blended and a creamy texture forms.
- Add dry ingredients to the mixture and mix at a slow speed.
- Lastly, add shredded carrots (and any other optional ingredients such as raisins or chopped walnuts) to batter and stir with a wooden spoon just until blended.
- Bake at 365F for 30-40 minutes. Check that the cake is fully cooked by inserting a toothpick into the center, if the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Leave the cake to cool completely before adding the cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Combine cream cheese, butter and icicng sugar in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer on low to medium speed.
- Add the lemon juice and mix again until blended and icing appears smooth and creamy.
- Spread the frosting using a silicone spatula on to the cooled carrot cake and enjoy!
Do you have a favourite carrot dessert recipe?
If you like this recipe please help us out by Pinning the image below to your favorite desserts board!