This easy zuchinni cake recipe with seasonal berries is a great way to use up a bounty crop of zucchini. We make it almost daily in my home over the summer!
The Easiest Zucchini Cake Recipe You’ll Make!
Two of our favourite foods come to harvest around the same time each year: zucchini and red currants. While the currants unfortunately don’t last long, they freeze very well and can be enjoyed well into the winter (if they aren’t gobbled before then!).
Red currants are beautiful little grape-like berries: they are very seedy and tart-tasting so some people don’t enjoy them as much. Like most berries, they are very high in antioxidants, fiber and minerals and may even protect against neurodegenerative brain diseases (for example Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease) and improve memory and thinking abilities.
Here is one of our favourite quick and easy recipes for moist and delicious zucchini bread. The cake is great even without the currants, or you can substitute other tart berries such as raspberries or dried cranberries. It makes a great dessert after a BBQ with some grilled chicken shish kabobs or alongside a refreshing lemon and mint infused Linden iced tea.
Quick and Easy Zucchini Cake Recipe with Berries
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and set aside. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir together (no need to overmix). Fold in the currants/berries.
- In another large bowl beat eggs and with a fork blend in sugar and oil. Stir in shredded zucchini.
- Pour the mixture into a 9"x13" glass baking dish. Bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean. Once finished, take out and let cool completely.
- If desired, top with drizzle just prior to serving.
Simple Red Currant Glaze
If you like, drizzle a little of this simple glaze over the top:
- ½ cup powdered (confectioner’s) sugar
- 2 tbsps milk
- juice from 2 tbsps of crushed red currants, strained (for pink colour)
Combine all ingredients to for a thin glaze. You may need to add a little more milk to reach desired consistency. Once the cake is completely cooled, drizzle the glaze over it. Serve and enjoy!
Perfect treat for summer entertaining!
I wasn’t joking above when I said we bake this treat almost daily! Especially when we’re at the cottage hanging out on the patio. It’s just the perfect no-fuss treat for when friends unexpectedly drop by. We even freeze little packages with pre-measured, shredded zucchini and currants to bake with in a pinch!
Do you have a favourite zucchini cake recipe? We’d love for you to share it in the comments below.
Like it? Pin it for later!