With tender, meaty yellow pole beans and juicy cherry tomatoes, this simple pole bean salad is the perfect side to any summer meal.
You may find in your local markets and grocery stores these beautiful and meaty long green and/or yellow pole beans.
These beans grow on vines along poles and can reach 9-10 feet tall as in our mom’s garden! And the more you pick them, the more they’ll produce, all the way through until the first frost. These beans are great fresh and freeze well for later use in stews, sauces and just to saute with some garlic and onions!
We also love them in a cold salad. Here’s a simple, tasty and filling recipe. The colours are just beautiful for sharing at a pot-luck and any leftovers taste great the next day.
Or pair them with any of the following meal ideas:
Yellow Pole Bean Salad
- 6 cups long beans cut into 3-4 inch lengths
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ sweet onion such as Vidalia or Spanish finely sliced
- ½ cup broad-leaf or curled parsley coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup olive or grapeseed oil
- 2 tbsps white or rice vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch the beans in lightly salted boiling water for 12-15 minutes until soft but not mushy.
- Let cool then toss with tomatoes, onion, parsley, oil and vinegar. Enjoy!
Nothing says late summer to us like our pole bean salad!
Have you tried to grow pole beans?