You can’t go wrong with this classic rice and peas side dish (aka risi e bisi) recipe, prepared in 30 minutes or under making it a perfect weekday meal idea.
Super Simple and Tasty Risi e Bisi Recipe
Without a doubt, our mom makes the best cooked rice dishes. I’ve even often overheard her grandchildren say “I only like to eat Baka’s rice”. This classic rice and peas recipe is a fool-proof meal idea that will please children and adults alike.
Although this recipe calls for long grain rice, you can also use other options such as white rice or brown rice but keep in mind that brown rice will take longer to cook and requires more water.
For the most part, cooking rice requres little attention or tending to. After the initial mixing of ingredients, avoid any further stirring while cooking. If you find the water has fully absorbed but the rice is still hard, simply add more water and leave the rice to cook longer until it softens.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Should you chose to purchase through these links we make a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure here.
How to Make Rice and Peas
- 2 cups rice long grain (we use Unico)
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup cooking onions chopped finely
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp Vegeta or other seasoning
- 4 cups water
- Saute butter and onions for 2-3 minutes.
- Add frozen peas and stir.
- Add rice.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper and add Vegeta or other seasoning mix.
- Mix altogether.
- Pour 4 cups of water.
- Let simmer on low-medium heat until water is fully absorbed, approx. 20-30 minutes.
- If all the water is absorbed but rice is still hard, add more water and continue cooking until soft. Taste to try.
Serve these Main Dishes Next to Your Rice and Peas:
Like it? Pin it for later!