A classic, slow-roasted tender roast beef recipe with a side of smooth, thick gravy has been a family favorite for generations.
Easy Roast Beef Recipe
Growing up, Sundays were always considered “family days”. This meant that everyone was to ensure they were home to enjoy a sit-down meal together. In our case, that meal was typically a delicious roast beef with a side of creamy mashed potatoes and sweet, buttery corn. Or any dishes, for that matter, that require a longer cook time.
Recipes like this classic stuffed peppers or flavorful beef goulash were saved for Sunday afternoons. Decades later, we’ve continued with this tradition of making and enjoying a delicious meal together as a family. This idea that a “family that eats together, stays together”, has stuck with me.
Using A Good Cut of Meat for Roast Beef
For a tender roast, look for a bottom round beef or eye round beef cuts of meat. These are our go-to cuts any time we plan to make slow roasted beef in the oven.
Leftover Roast Beef Recipes
One of our favorite perks to making a roast beef is the leftovers. Typically, we’ll prepare roast beef sandwiches by pan searing the beef slices until hot and then placing them inside two slices of bread and pouring hot gravy over top. Alternatively, we’ll save the gravy to make a tasty poutine with cheese curds and fries.
The Best Roast Beef Recipe
- roasting pan
- Cooking pot for gravy
- Hand Blender for gravy
- 4 lb roasting beef Bottom Round Beef or Eye Round beef
- salt and pepper dash
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2-3 carrots whole
- 1-2 celery stalks whole
- 1 cooking onion cut in half
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp flour for gravy
- Preheat the oven, set to broil on high heat (400F).
- Remove meat from packaging and dab with clean paper towels.
- Place meat into a large roasting pan. If any grizzle is visible, place that side up.
- Add a dash of sal and pepper over the beef.
- Sprinkle with olive oil.
- Place the roasting pan in the oven uncovered.
- Cook for 10 minutes. Turn beef over and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Set the oven to bake setting at 380F.
- Wash the carrots and celery, cutting off the ends of the carrots before placing them into the roasting pan. Cut onion in halves.
- Add carrots, celery and onion into the pan.
- Add water into the pan.
- Cover with lid and bake for 2 hours.
- Remove the roast from the oven. Check if the meat is fully cooked by using a meat thermometer.
- Remove roast from the pan and place it in a large bowl. Pour 1 cup of the liquid broth from the roasting pan over the roast.
- Remove all veggies and remaining broth from the pan and place in a medium sized cooking pot.
- Add 1 tbsp of flour and mash with a hand blender until creamy and soft.
- Bring the mixture to a boil on the stove top.
- If the gravy appears too runny, add more flour and if it appears too thick, add more water.
- Cut roast into slices and place on a serving tray. Serve hot alongside bowl of hot gravy.
Serve Alongside these Tasty Side Dishes:
Try any one of these delicious side dishes to serve along side a platter of tender roast beef.
Like it? Pin it for later!