Five ingredients is all it takes to make this traditional Croatian cookie recipe, known as školjkice; deliciously jam filled and coated with powdered sugar.
Skoljkice: Traditional Croatian Cookie Recipe
In English, školjkice translates to shells which has a lot to do with their full half circle shape and gently imprinted edges. Each cookie is filled with a 1/2 teaspoon of thick jam, such as a sweet plum or quince jam. Alternatively, you could also use a chocolate spread, such as Nutella for the tasty centers.
Unlike most of the other traditional Croatian desserts, these školjkice cookies with only a few ingredients is considered a quick and easy type of recipe. If you don’t have a round cookie cutter, you can use the rim of a glass to make the circle shapes in the dough.
Traditional Croatian Skoljkice Shell Cookies
- Stand Mixer such as KitchenAid or hand mixer
- Rolling Pin
- 5 cups all purpose flour unbleached
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 340 ml vegetable oil or canola oil 1 1/2 cups
- 170 ml water ¾ cup
- thick sweet jam for the filling plum jam or quince jam
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla sugar
- Place oil and water in a small saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat.
- After the mixture begins boiling, put it aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat over to 360F.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, combine flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Slowly pour the water and oil mixture to the flour mixture.
- Mix all the ingredients together until well combined.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knead by hand for 1-2 minutes. If the dough feels too soft, add a bit more flour.
- Divide the dough in to two balls and work one half of the dough at a time.
- Sprinkle flour over a clean work surface and using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until it is thin (about 5mm high) and even. Typically the thinner the dough the better for this type of cookie.
- Using the rim of a glass to cut circle shapes into the dough. Dip the rim in flour to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Add ½ tsp of jam to the middle of each circle.
- Fold one side over to make a ½ circle shape.
- Use a fork and gently presss along the sides to seal the edges leaving light indents around the half circle.
- Move the cookies on to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and after 5 minutes transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Combine a small bowl full of icing and vanilla sugar.
- While skoljkice cookies are still warm, dip them into the sugar mixture to coat and put aside to cool completely.
More Traditional Croatian Dessert Recipes:
For more classic Croatian dessert recipes, check out these tasty options:
- Croatian kiflice
- Homemade pie crust recipe
- Best-ever Carrot Cake recipe
- Easy zucchini cake with currants recipe
- Chocolate and coconut coated mini cakes recipe
Like it? Pin it for later!