I don’t think there could be a more perfect word to describe these German chocolate brownies with their layers of brownie, coconut pecan topping and smooth chocolate ganache than decadent!
German Chocolate Brownie Recipe
When you’re craving something to satisfy that sweet tooth, this has got to be one of the best recipes to go to. We love the combination of chocolate, coconuts and pecans all mixed in to one satisfying dessert.
Just look at all those layers of goodness! As if brownies alone weren’t enough, this layered brownie recipe really takes it up a notch.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Should you chose to purchase through these links we make a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure here.
Decadent German Chocolate Brownies
Coconut Pecan Topping
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted sweet cream butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup pecan chips
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 disposable piping bag
For the Coconut Pecan Topping:
- Using a medium saucepan, combine the evaporated milk, egg yolks, brown sugar and butter over medium heat.
- Make sure to stir constantly until thickened. Should take about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain using a mesh strainer.
- Stir in the vanilla, shredded coconut and pecan chips.
- Allow mixture to cool completely.
For the Chocolate Ganache
- Using a small pot, bring the heavy whipping cream to a slow simmer.
- Pour over the chocolate chips in a heat safe bowl and whisk until combined and smooth.
For the Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 and line two 8×8 pans with parchment paper and spray with Pam baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Using a large bowl, beat together the melted butter and sugar until combined.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined.
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter between the two pans and spread evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on the counter.
Building the brownies
- Remove cooled brownies and place onto a cutting board.
- Spread ¼ cup of gananche onto the bottom layer of brownies and spread evenly.
- Spread ½ cup of the coconut pecan topping on top of the ganache.
- Place the second layer of brownies on top.
- Spread another ¼ cup of gananche on top of the brownies and spread another layer of the coconut pecan topping over.
- Drizzle ganache on top and sprinkle a few chopped pecans on top.
More Sweet Goodness
Like it? Pin it for later!