The combination of sweet, moist vanilla cake with slightly sour red currants leaves your taste buds wanting more! When red currants are in season, this easy to make red currant cake recipe is a family favorite.
Delicious and Easy to Make Red Currant Cake
We’re big fans of incorporating red currants in with our dessert recipes, similar to this zucchini cake with berries recipe. Since we grow large bushes of currants each year, using them in dessert, salads or even for making delicious red currant jam, is a given.
Baked to perfection in a large baking pan, the explosion of flavour oozes out of the red currents into the moist vanilla cake. It’s not only pleasing to taste but pleasing to the eye with it’s lovely melted red current pattern swirled over the top.
Easy Red Currant Cake Recipe
- 1 9×12 glass baking dish
- 4 eggs divided
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups oil
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 1 cup yogurt plain or vanilla
- 1 cup red currants
- Preheat oven at 370F.
- Mix baking powder and flour together in a separate bowl.
- Use a different bowl to beat egg whites on high until they become stiff and form a peak. Put aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks slowly, and then add in the sugar and vanilla sugar.
- When sugar is all dissolved, add the oil in to the mixture slowly.
- Next, add in the yogurt and combine.
- Add the flour and baking powder mixture to the wet mixture and combine.
- Needs to look like a pancake batter mixture in texture.
- Fold in the egg whites using a wooden spoon.
- Add red currants to mixture and stir just until combined.
- Place into a greased baking pan 9×12.
- Bake 27-30 minutes on 370F. Check if ready by inserting toothpick inside. If clean, cake is ready.
More Easy Cake Recipes to Try
While you’re here, be sure to check out these other delicious dessert recipe options all of which call for fresh fruit in their ingredient list.
- Classic Plum Cake Recipe
- Cocoa Apple Cake Recipe
- Classic Orange Bundt Cake
- Sour Cherry Cake Recipe
- Non Layered Strawberry Sponge Cake
Thank you so much for stopping by to visit here at Sustain My Cooking Habit! Please come by and visit us here again.
Like it? Pin it for later!