An easy to make dessert from scratch, this deliciously moist cocoa apple cake recipe loaded with raisins and chopped walnuts for added flavor and texture is a perfect side to a cup of tea or coffee.
Deliciously Moist Cocoa Apple Cake
Using apples for baking has become a staple ingredient in our kitchen. Many of the traditional Croatian dessert recipes we grew up with have apples in them, such as our mom’s scrumptious apple pita recipe and apple cinnamon buns. Already sweet and utterly moist, this apple recipe topped with a dusting of powdered sugar is really all you need. However, the traditional homestyle recipe can also be topped with a syrup and jam spread which adds to the decadence of the dessert.
Adding a Syrup and Jam Topping
To add a syrup and sweet jam topping to the cake, first wait until the cake has cooled completely. Prepare the syrup by boiling 1 cup of water and then dissolving 5 tbsps of granulated sugar. Pour the syrup over the cooled cake with a spoon and top it off by spreading a thin layer of apricot jam on top. The syrup will soak through the cake adding to the moistness and density.
Cocoa Apple Cake Recipe
- Electric Mixer
- Preheat the oven to 360F.
- Divide eggs.
- In a deep bowl, beat 4 egg whites on high speed using an electric mixer.
- When egg whites turn nice and fluffy, put them aside for the time being.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and cocoa.
- Combine egg yolks, sugar and oil. Mix together with an electric mixer and once ingredients are well combined, reduce speed to low. Begin adding the shredded apples and flour mixture alternating between the two until fully mixed.
- Add egg whites into the mixture and combine with a wooden spoon
- Add raisins and walnuts if desired.
- Lightly grease the bottom of a 9×13 glass plan.
- Pour mixture into the pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Insert toothpick to check if the cake is fully cooked in the center. Avoid overcooking this dessert, better to be undercooked than over-cooked.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired and cut into 1" squares.
More Deliciously Moist Cake Recipes to Try:
- Whiskey bundt cake
- Classic plum cake
- Best ever carrot cake
- Zucchini cake with berries
- Chocolate and coconut mini heart cake
Like it? Pin it for later!