One of my favorite vegetarian dishes to take to a gathering and also most often requested recipe by my tween, this chow mein and cabbage sidedish recipe is a hit with the whole family!
Chow Mein Noodles Recipe with Cabbage
More than a decade ago, I was given a recipe for a chow mein noodle dish from a previous co-worker who often prepared the dish for our office potlucks. Needless to say it was a hit at every occassion! I have long since misplaced the recipe but having made it myself for so many years and adapting it to suit my own families tastes and preferences, I’m excited to share this tasty meal option.
Although some prep work is needed which includes chopping the cabbage, shredding the carrots and boiling the noodles, the actual cooking part is fairly quick. Be sure to use a good size wok for making this recipe or at the very least a deep dish non-stick frying pan with a lid.
This dish is prepared in two parts: the chopped cabbage and carrot portion and then the cooked chow mein noodle portion. Once each is prepared separately, they are combined and then cooked again together for a short amount of time. Taste each portion as you go to ensure the flavors are too your liking and add a bit more salt (sugar, soya sauce or sesema oil) if needed.
Vegetarian Chow Mein Recipe with Cabbage
- 1 wok with lid or deep dish, non stick frying pan (with lid)
- 1 pack chow mein noodles
- ½ head of cabbage, chopped wash, drain
- 2 carrots, shredded wash, drain
- garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil divided
- 1 tbsp salt divided
- ½ tbsp of hot chili sauce optional
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- Add water to a large cooking pot and bring to a boil. Loosen chow mein noodles and cook in boiled water for about 1 minute.
- Rinse noodles under cold water, drain it for about 15 minutes.
Preparing the Cabbage Portion
- In a large non-stick wok (or pan), put about 2 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Fry garlic until golden brown.
- Pour in cabbage, carrot and 1/2 tbsp salt. Stir mixture well for about 10 minutes.
- Cover with lid but uncover to mix often.
- Add hot chili sauce if desired and mix.
- Pour in 1 tbsp of sesame oil and mix again just until blended. Then pour mixed vegetables to a big bowl and set aside.
Preparing the Noodles
- Combine soya sauce with granulated sugar in a small bowl.
- In the same wok (or deep dish frying pan), pour in about 2 tbsp of oil. Use medium heat.
- When the oil is getting hot, pour cooked noodles in. Mix well.
- Pour soya sauce mixture and 1 tbsp sesame oil and mix well again.
- Pick a small piece of noodle to taste, add more salt (or sugar) to the noodles and mix well if desired. Cover with lid and stir fry noodles for about 10 minutes.
- Continue mixing to avoid noodles from sticking to bottom of wok.
- Discard any broth from vegetables. Pour stir-fried noodles into large bowl with cooked vegetables.
We love to serve this noodle dish alongside a BBQ main dish or most often alongside a serving of Chinese lemon chicken and these tasty pork spring rolls.
More Vegetarian Dishes to Try
If you’re looking for more vegetarian recipes, consider some of these delicious options for your next meal.
- Homemade Zucchini Pizza
- Rice and Peas
- Swiss Chard and Potatoes
- Cooked Flat Beans and Tomato
- Sauteed Vegetable Stew
Like it? Pin it for later!