A creative twist on a classic strawberry sponge cake recipe without all the effort needed in making multiple layers of cake. Delicious and moist, this dessert recipe with a hint of chocolate hits the sweet spot.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Should you chose to purchase through these links we make a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure here.
Skip the Layers with this Strawberry Sponge Cake Recipe
I love the combination of strawberries and sponge cake but I don’t always have time to prepare the classic layered strawberry sponge cake when making a dessert. This recipe saves on time but doesn’t fall short on flavor, baked in one large glass pan for ease of preparing.
The chocolate chips are sprinkled on top for just a hint of sweet chocolate combined with fresh strawberries. Alternatively, you can by-pass this step altogether and bake the cake without the chocolate chips if desired.
Non Layered Strawberry Sponge Cake with Chocolate Chips
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup melted butter
- 1 cup flour all purpose
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pack vanilla sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1.25 cup strawberries chopped
- ½ cup chocolate chips semi sweet
- Beat eggs and add sugar. When they are well blended, add melted butter slowly and keep mixing.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Remove clumps with a sifter.
- Fold in the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients using a wooden spoon.
- Add strawberries and mix just until blended.
- Batter shouldn’t be too runny. Add 1 tbsp of flour if it appears too runny.
- Pour the batter into a lightly greased pan. Avoid over greasing the pan.
- Sprinkle the top with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 360F for 30-35 minutes. Check the cake by inserting a toothpick in the center after 30 minutes. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is cooked through.
Wait for the sponge cake to cool completely before serving alongside a cup of coffee or tea or even on it’s own. Additionally, you can sprinkle some icing sugar over top to complete before serving.
More Cake Recipes with Seasonal Fruit
Whatever the season, we’ve got plenty of dessert recipes using fresh fruit and berries such as our mini blueberry cheesecakes; a classic plum cake; satisfyling cocoa apple cake and this tasty orange bundt cake recipe.
Like it? Pin it for later!