A delicious and moist plum cake loaded with fragrant spices, soft red plums and topped with a dusting of powdered sugar.
The Best Plum Cake Recipe
This light and fluffy plum cake recipe is perfect at the end of Summer and well into the Fall season. Using fresh red plums keeps the cake light in texture as well as in sweetness. The addition of the honey helps to offset the slightly sour overtones of fresh red plums. However, when they are not in season, the recipe can also be made using canned plums.
We love incorporating fresh fruit in to our dessert recipes. From our best-ever homemade apple pie recipe to this blueberry cream pie, baking with seasonal fruits is something to cherish as the seasons change. And although this delicious peach streusel cake recipe calls for peaches, it can easily be made with fresh plums instead.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Should you chose to purchase through these links we make a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure here.
- 160 gms refined flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 120 ml vegetable oil
- 140 ml milk (at room temperature)
- 2 eggs
- 150 gms + 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 grated nutmeg
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp curd
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped plums
- Sliced plums for top
How to Make a Classic Plum Cake:
In a large bowl, add the oil and sugar, mixing until its light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time and combine well. Next, add the curd, vanilla extract, honey, continuing to mix until well combined.
In another large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together (refined flour, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon).
Start adding the dry mix to the wet mix, alternating it with milk. Finally add in the chopped plums and just mix a little.
Pour it in your cake pan and place the sliced plums on top. Lastly, sprinkle 1 tbsp of sugar on top.
Bake at 355°F for 40-45 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
Once cool, remove from cake pan and sift 1 tbsp of powdered sugar over top to finish before serving.
Do you have a favorite fresh fruit dessert recipe?
Like it? Pin it for later!
Classic Plum Cake Recipe
- In a bowl add the oil and sugar and mix till its light and creamy.
- dd the eggs one at a time and combine well.
- Add curd, vanilla extract, honey & mix well.
- In a large bowl sift the dry ingredients together (refined flour, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon).
- Start adding the dry mix to the wet mix, alternating it with milk.
- Finally add in the chopped plums and just mix a little.
- Pour it in your baking pan and place the sliced plums on top and sprinkle 1 tbsp sugar on top.
- Bake at 180°C for 40-45 mins.