These savory, lightly battered rolled crepes are a great way to use up left-over chicken, ham or other meat in the fridge.
We’re so blessed that the kids are able to spend the summers at the cottage with baka and djeda. They get completely spoiled of course. This includes waking up to homemade palacinke (or crepes) each morning!
There are sometimes a few crepes left over after they’re done. They make the perfect foundation for some delicious crepe rolls.
Although you can use sliced deli chicken, ham or turkey, our favourite is using leftover chicken from the previous night’s dinner.
There’s really no right or wrong with these crepe rolls. We like to use mozarella cheese for the stuffing, but you could use anything you have on hand, such as cheddar or Swiss.
What to Serve with the Chicken Crepes
How to Make Crepes
We have a whole post with our favourite crepe batter recipe. But here a quick overview of the crepe baking process.
The key is to have the batter be a think consistency. Pour a ladelful onto a hot skillet and immediately roll the skillet around to spread out the batter. Let bake for a minute and then flip over when the edges start lifting from the pan.
Once you make crepes a few times, you’ll be an expert in no time! We love to enjoy them as both a sweet treat with homemade jam (such as our mulberry jam) or savory as in our cottage cheese casserole.
Easy Crepes with Leftover Chicken and Cheese Filling
- 4 crepes
- 1/2 cup onions finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast chopped
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
To Make the Filling
- Combine all ingredients in a medium pot. On medium temperature sautee onions, parsley, salt and pepper over butter until onions are cooked (about 7-10 minutes).
- Add in shredded cheese.
- Disolve flour in cold water. Pour the mixture over the filling. Stir and cook for 2 minutes until thickens.
- Remove from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes.
To Fill the Crepes
- Spread one quarter of the filling evenly over a crepe, leaving the outer edge uncovered.
- Slightly fold in the bottom and top edges of the crepe.
- Roll the crepe from one side to the other.
To Fry the Crepes
- Fill a frying pan with enough oil to fry the crepes rolls and bring to medium high heat.
- Scramble the egg in a shallow bowl.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a second shallow bowl.
- Dip the rolled crepe in the egg until lightly coated all around.
- Roll in the breadcrumbs.
- Fry the crepe until golden brown on the outside (1-2 minutes per side).
Like it? Pin it for later!