With shredded zucchini and three delicious cheeses mixed in to make the soft and tender dough, it’s no wonder this fresh, homemade zucchini pizza topped with green olives and mushrooms is so utterly tasty.
Zucchini Pizza Crust Recipe
Although we’re calling it pizza, there are a few differences between a classic za and this homemade zucchini pizza that make it a fresh alternative.
Firstly, the dough itself is made by mixing in shredded zucchini and three different cheeses creating a super soft and almost flaky texture. As a result, the dough feels runnier, somewhere between a cake batter that is poured in to a baking pan and that of a typical bread dough, which needs to be stretched out on a baking sheet.
Additionally, since the dough is poured in to the pan it’s best to use a Pyrex Basics deep dish glass baking pan like the one we used from Amazon. We often use this same pan for many of our homemade desserts like this peach streusel cake, our best-ever carrot cake and our sour cherry cake (recipe coming soon!). It’s definitely a baking pan that gets a lot of use!
Once baked, cut the pizza into large square slices or instead cut it into smaller portions and serve it as an appetizer to a main dish. We’ve kept the pizza vegetarian by adding only green olives and mushrooms to the top but adding chopped fried bacon would also taste amazing!
Homemade Zucchini Pizza
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- ½ cup olives
- ½ cup mozzarella
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- In a separate bowl, mix flour with baking powder and salt.
- Beat eggs.
- Add the shredded cheeses.
- Add the dry ingredients.
- Mix until well combined, approximately 7 min.
- Add the shredded zucchini to the egg mixture.
- Can use an electric mixer or mix by hand with a wooden spoon.
- Should be a runnier texture, not a typical dough consistency.
- Can pour or scoop the mixture into the pan and level. Pour into a greased 9×13 glass pan.
- Bake at 420F for 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven and add the toppings.
- Cover the crust with a thin layer of sauce, then add olives, mushrooms and top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove and serve hot.
Love to Cook with Zucchini?
Few vegetables are as versatile as zucchini when it comes to cooking and baking. Just check out some of these delicious homemade zucchini recipes from main dishes to yummy desserts!
Like it? Pin it for later!