This tasty streusel cake topped with soft fresh peaches is one of our favourite ways of using fresh peaches in the Summer.
Aside from just biting into a juicy peach, making this sweet dessert and is a Summer time highlight. Here in south western Ontario, Canada, it feels like we wait all year long to enjoy locally grown, in-season fruits and vegetables. Peaches are one of those fruits high on the list of fruits we can’t wait to savour.
Since we have a large family we doubled this recipe to make a double batch. This moist streusel cake is the perfect mix of soft and tender peaches with a sweet crumbly topping.
Trust us when we say, the sweet strusel doesn’t last very long! As an alternative, to enjoy this dessert all year long, you could easily swap out fresh peaches with canned peaches or even use fresh frozen peaches.
Other desserts to try using seasonal fruits include our:
- strawberry rhubarb crisp,
- zucchini cake with berries,
- cinnamon apple rhubarb pie,
- traditional apple pita-pie and
- this delicious list of 20 fresh berry treats.
Serve the peach streusel cake on its own, a la mode or simply with a cup of tea or coffee and enjoy!
And there you go! This recipe is a potluck and family get-together favourite! Sometimes we switch out the peaches for in-season plums for a delicious variation.
Looking for additional fresh peach dessert recipes?
Try some of these sumptuous ideas:
- simple peach crostata;
- peaches and cream ice cream pie;
- easy peach crumble;
- white peach frangipane tart;
- peach crumb bars;
- peach bourbon bread pudding;
- peach galette.
What is your favourite recipe using fresh peaches?
Streusel Cake with Peaches
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter softened
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla sugar
- Grease a 9 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter, sugar and egg yolks until fluffy.
- Combine flour and baking powder and beat into egg mixture alternately with milk.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Peel the peaches and cut into slices. Place the sliced peaches over top of the batter.
Preparing the Streusel Topping
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, butter and cinnamon until well blended. Sprinkle over the fruit.
- Bake at 350F for 40 minutes or until top is golden.
Preparing the Glaze
- After the streusel cake has cooled, prepare the glaze.
- Mix together milk, icing sugar and vanilla sugar and drizzle over top of cake.
Like it? Pin it for Later!