If you’ve ever tried classic meringue cookies, you’ll likely love them for their sugary, light and airy taste. This latest recipe takes all the goodness of a traditional meringue cookie but combines the complimentary flavors and texture of sweet chocolate.
Go-to Recipe for Making Chocolate Meringue Cookies
Although most often we make a batch of these classic 3-ingredient meringue cookies, we do also love to add a bit of cocoa into the mix. Not only does the flavor take on a hint of sweet chocolate, they also take on unexpected marble effect when you bite into them.
Slightly crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside, meringue cookies are light, sugary and airy. The texture and taste pairs very nicely with a cool and smooth whipped cream. They can be prepared ahead of time and stored up to three months in an air-tight sealed container.
Our recipe for making these chocolate meringue cookies are very similar to the classic meringue recipe with just slight adjustments.
Irresistible Chocolate Meringue Cookies
- 5 egg whites
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar or salt if you don’t have cream of tartar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- Separate egg whites from the eggs. Set aside yolks for another recipe. Add in salt or cream of tartar to the deep bowl with the egg whites.
- Beat egg whites in mixer on high speed for about 4 minutes until they start to change from clear to white.
- While still beating on high speed, slowly add in sugar (1 tbsp at a time) while mixing for another 4-6 minutes until firm, frothy peaks form.
- Add cocoa powder with sifter, mix by hand just enough to swirl powder around.
- Transfer the mixture to a large piping bag or plastic freezer bag. If using the freezer bag, snip a small hole in one bottom corner. If using piping bag, use a tip of your choice.
- Pipe mixture onto parchment lined baking sheet making small, bite-sized cookies. Or you can also make larger ones if you’d like.
- Bake in oven for 3.5-4 hours on low temperature (200°F) until completely dehydrated.
- Let cool completely.
- Store in sealed plastic or glass jar for up to 3 months.
More Bite-Size Desserts to Make and Enjoy
In addition to these chocolate meringue cookies, we have plenty of other bite-size delectable dessert recipes. Check out these tasty options:
Like it? Pin it for later!