A hearty and delicious meal time option, this potato leek soup with sausage recipe is loaded with flavor and perfectly savory.
It can’t get much more comforting than a Homestyle Potato Leek Soup
Hot and comforting and full of tasty goodness, this potatoe leek soup with sausage will surely satisfy. Making a big batch of this soup ahead of time is the perfect solution for those rushed work days when there is little time to cook.
We’ve included sausage in this recipe but you can also use hot dogs if in a pinch for ingredients (or even leave the potato leek soup without keeping it as a vegetarian option).
Preparing the Leeks
For this recipe, you’ll be using the whole leek including the leafy green part at the top. Slice the leek in half lengthwise and then chop them in to 1″ long pieces. Next, be sure to wash the leeks before cooking to remove any dirt. Drain the water and dry the leeks completely.
Which Potatoes to Use
Although soft, this is not a creamy soup recipe so it is best to use potatoes that will hold their shape such as yukon gold or white potatoes.
How to Thin or Thicken the Broth
If you find that the broth is too thick, you can add another 1-2 cups of water as the soup. Keep in mind, that the soup will also thicken over time as it sits or is being stored in the fridge.
Alternatively, if you find the soup is not thick enough, you can combine another ½ cup cold water with 1 tbsp flour and add it to the soup to thicken the broth.
Leek and Sausage Soup
- Large cooking pot
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large leeks chopped
- 2 carrots sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 1 large potato diced
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Vegeta or Italian seasoning mix
- 2-3 smoked sausage links uncooked
- ½ cup washed barley
- Cut leeks in half lengthwise creating a flat leek instead of tube. Cut into 1” long pieces.
- Wash leeks well in water and drain fully.
- Add leeks and garlicto a large cooking pot with vegetable oil. Saute for 2-3 minutes, then add potatoes, carrots and celery sticks.
- Add all seasonings and mix together.
- Saute vegetables in a large cooking pot for about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 liter of water to the pot and continue cooking for 20 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Add 1 more liter of waterand continue cooking for another 20 minutes.
- Add chopped sausage and barley with another liter of water.
- Cook for another 30 minutes.
- When the barley is almost soft and cooked, combine ½ cup water with 1 tbsp flour in a cup and add in the flour mixture to thicken the broth. Stir all together.
- If feels to thick, add another 1-2 cups of water as the soup will thicken over time.
- Cook for another 10 minutes.
- If using hot dogs instead of sausage, they won’t need as long to cook. Add the chopped hot dogs to the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
More Delicious Homestyle Soup Recipes
When it comes to hearty soup recipes, we have a wide assortment of options to try. These are just a few of our favorites to make and share.
- Non Creamy Potato Leek Soup
- Cabbage soup
- Instant pot bean soup
- Roasted pumpkin soup
- White beans and barley soup
- Minestrone Soup
Thankyou so much for stopping by to visit us here on the blog. We hope you’ve found what you’re looking for in this recipe. We’d love to know how it turned out so please let us know in the comments below!
Like it? Pin it for later!