Sharing this homestyle recipe for making a delicious potato leek soup loaded with cooked veggies and ham in a flavorful non-creamy broth.
Delicious & Hearty Potato Leek Soup Recipe
Both comforting and satisfying at any time of the year, nothing beats a delicious and hearty homemade soup. Whether it’s a vegetarian soup such as our roasted pumpkin soup or a non-vegetarian option like our tasty meat and cabbage soup or this Instant Pot bean soup with bacon; soup is a welcome meal. We added pieces of cooked ham in this non-creamy potato leek soup but alternatively, pieces of sausage can be added instead. Simply chop the sausage into 1/2″ slices and add to the soup when it’s close to being fully cooked.
Non-Creamy Potato Leek Soup Recipe
- 2 stalks of leeks
- 2 medium sized potatoes smaller cubes
- 1 large carrot shredded and chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 celery stick chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- dash of salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp Vegeta
- 1 cup chopped ham in to small cubes (optional)
- 1 litre water
- Wash the leeks and chop into ½” to 1” long pieces.
- Cut cooked ham in to small cubes.
- Chop other veggies and place all in a large pan to saute for 3-5 minutes in oil.
- Add cubes of cooked ham and saute together with veggies.
- Add 1L of water to the pot.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper.
- Keep cooking for 40 minutes to 1 hour on low temperature. Cook covered.
- Check that veggies are soft. When close to soft texture, combine flour and vegeta in a cup, and add just enough water to melt the flour.
- Pour the flour mixture over the cooked veggies and stir.
- Continue stirring while waiting for broth to return to boil, approx. another 5 minutes.
- If broth appears too thick, add water and alternatively, if it appears to be too runny, add more flour.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Serve alongside a slice of fresh homemade white bread and enjoy the natural flavors of this hearty leek and potato soup.
More Delicious Homestyle Soup Recipes
Like it? Pin it for later!