The perfect combination of sweet and sour, this simple to follow dessert recipe for making classic rhubarb muffins will leave you feeling satisfied.
Making Seasonal Rhubarb Muffins
One of the many things I love about Spring here in South Western Ontario, Canada is that it’s the season for fresh and locally grown rhubarb. I have a large leafy rhubarb plant growing in my backyard that requires little attention but each and every year produces an abundant amount of rhubarb to use for making apple rhubarb pie; delicious strawberry rhubarb crisp as well as these perfectly moist rhubarb muffins.
Although I do freeze whatever leftover rhubarb I have, the best time to enjoy these tasty desserts is in the Spring. If you also have extra rhubarb, chop it up into 1/2″ thick pieces and place in an air-tight freeze bag for use later on in the year.
More Dessert Recipes Using Rhubarb
Ultimate Rhubarb Muffin Recipe
- Chop rhubarb ¼” thick and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Put aside.
- In KitchenAid, beat eggs and brown sugar until sugar dissolves. Slowly add oil and continue beating, then vanilla sugar and salt.
- Combine remaining dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Using a wooden spoon, add and combine the dry ingredients and yogurt to egg mixture alternating.
- Lastly add rhubarb and mix just until combined.
- Optional add chopped almonds or walnuts.
- Add to greased muffin tray.
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes. Check time.
More Seasonal Dessert Recipes
Of course, rhubarb is not the only ingredient we love to use this time of year. Other sweet fruits and berries that are locally grown and picked here include peaches, strawberries and blueberries. Be sure to check out these other wonderful dessert recipes:
Like it? Pin it for later!