These bite-sized sweet waffle cookies may look like your typical breakfast staple, but don’t be fooled! The chewy texture and sweetness make them a perfect, simple dessert cookie the family is sure to love.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. You can find our full disclosure here.
It all started when mom bought a waffle iron from a secondhand store.
Yes she made a few waffles, but then in typical Mom fashion decided to use the appliance to make something other than waffles. She found a recipe for these delicious sweet galete recipe on a Croatian website and went on to adapt it with less sugar.
We’ve now discovered they’re more commonly know as waffle cookies and also go by Belgian, Italian, waffle-iron cookies and French cakes. Clearly, they are a delicious treat all over the world!
So mom’s waffle cookies recipe has quickly become a favorite amongst the kids. And because the galete keep well for a few days they’ve become one of our go-to recipes when baking for a gatherings or special events. It’s a simple dessert for a large crowd!
Waffle Cookies Variations
The original waffle cookies recipe below is absolutely delicious as is. However you can also get fancy and try any of these fun variatios:
- dust the tray of cookies with some powdered sugar;
- dip them halfway in melted semi-sweet chocolate and let cool;
- mix some powdered sugar with a little bit of milk to make a frosting and then drizzle onto the cookies;
- add 1/2 tsp of cocoa powder to the frosting for a chocolate drizzle;
- add 1 tbsp of cocoa powder to the batter for a chocolate cookie;
- add the cocoa powder but don’t mix through completely for a marbled effect;
- pour a glaze over the cookies and add colored sprinkles;
- add a couple drops of food coloring to the batter for a completely different looking cookie.
The options are truly endless with this recipe.
Ingredients Needed for this Waffle Cookies Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup oil
- ½ cup milk
- 1 packet vanilla sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 cups flour
How to Make Waffle Cookies
Combine baking powder with flour.
In a stand mixer (we can’t bake without our KitchenAid mixer!) beat eggs, sugar and vanilla sugar until light and fluffy (about 4-5 minutes).
Slowly add in oil and mix on low.
Slowly add in flour mixture, alternating with milk.
Bake in waffle iron (about 2 tbsps at a time).
That’s it! Easy peasy dessert cookies. Because the batter makes such a large batch, these cookies are great for taking to larger gatherings. Or bake and then freeze them for up to 3 months.
More Cookie Recipes You’ll Love!
- no-bake Raffaello coconut balls;
- saltine toffee;
- cherry almond sugar cookies;
- snow-capped pecan shortbread cookies.
Simple Waffle Cookies Recipe (with Variations!)
- Waffle iron
- Combine baking powder with flour.
- In a mixer beat eggs, sugar and vanilla sugar until light and fluffy (about 4-5 minutes).
- Slowly add in oil and mix on low.
- Slowly add in flour mixture, alternating with milk.
- Bake in waffle iron (about 2 tbsps at a time).
Like it? Pin it for later!