Delicious and sweet, this easy apple crisp recipe makes for a wonderful dessert option with its oats and brown sugar crumble topping and soft cooked apple filled center.
Tasty Apple Crisp Recipe with Oats
Similar to our strawberry and rhubarb crisp recipe, this tasty dessert is a family favorite. The ingredients are almost indentical except we use half the amount of granulated sugar for the thick apple filling. But this of course can be adjusted depending on the sweetness or tartness of the fresh chopped apples.
For the thick sauce filling, be sure to add the cornstarch to cold water before heating on the stove top to ensure the cornstarch blends in smoothly.
More Delicious Apple Dessert Recipes
For other dessert recipes using fresh apples, check out our mom’s traditional Croatian apple pita; this tasty apple pavlova; our apple cinnamon buns; apple rhubarb pie and our classic lattice crust apple pie.
Easy Apple Crisp Recipe
Delicious Apple Crisp Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinamon
- ½ cup melted butter
- 4 cups baking apples
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven at 350°F (175°C).
- Mix crust ingredients until crumbly and press half in a buttered 9”x9” baking pan (ideally glass or ceramic – I love my Corningware 2.5-quart French Oval Casserole dish for this recipe).
- Spread chopped apple pieces over the crumbs.
- Combine sauce ingredients in saucepan and cook over moderate heat until thick and clear. Helpful Tip: Add cornstarch to cold water and mix to avoid clumps in sauce.
- Pour over the apples.
- Sprinkle remaining crumbs over top.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until golden brown.
And that’s it, the delicious dessert is complete! Serve warm alongside a helping of sweet vanilla ice cream and enjoy.
Like it? Pin it for later!