We’re going back to basics with this go-to recipe for making classic and delicious french toast using just 3, yes I said only 3 simple ingredients.
Easy No-Fuss French Toast Recipe
As a child, French toast was a staple in our household. Being a fussy eater, yet loving French toast, my mom would make this for me at all times of the day…breakfast, lunch and often dinner! These days as I make French toast for my family, I’m instantly reminded of my childhood. In fact, French toast was the first meal I ever learned to cook in the kitchen!
We’ve kept the recipe as simple and fuss-free as possible using just 3 simple ingredients. Although traditionally French toast is made with milk; we find that the milk only saturates the bread and doesn’t add any extra flavor. Additionally, since we have some members of the family with sensitivities to dairy, keeping the milk out of this recipe is a must altogether.
What bread is best to use for making French Toast?
Any sliced white or wholegrain bread will do when making French toast, either the pre-sliced loaf or cutting the loaf yourself. The thicker the slice the better so if you can, grab some texas-style pre-sliced toast bread. We often use our grandma’s homemade white bread but for times that we don’t have or for a budget friendly alternative, we use leftover hot dog buns and hamburger buns. They are moist and thick and toast really nicely in the pan!
What to Use on French Toast?
Of course using maple syrup (or even table syrup if on a budget) is a wonderful option, using a sweet and fruity jam however, such as strawberry jam, peach jam or orange pomegranate jam is also an amazingly delicious option.
- 3 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- Bread, cut into slices or pre-sliced
How to Make French Toast:
Beat eggs in a shallow bowl.
Add a pinch of salt to the egg mixture and mix together.
Add ½ tbsp of oil to the frying pan and heat oil on medium temp.
Check that oil is ready by dropping a small amount of egg mixture into the pan. If sizzles, oil is ready for cooking.
Use any sliced bread or even hot dog buns and hamburger buns. If cutting the loaf of bread yourself, slice them in 3/4″ thicknesses.
Dip a slice of bread into egg mixture to coat on one side and then quickly flip on to the other side. Remove from egg mixture promptly. Don’t let bread sit in the egg mixture otherwise it will be soggy.
Leave slices to cook for 1-2 minutes until golden colored. Flip and cook on the other side.
As an added option, sprinkle some cinnamon over top of the slices for added flavor.
Remove from the pan and place on the plate.
Serve with delicious sweet syrup or jam and enjoy!
How to Make French Toast
- 3 eggs
- pinch of salt
- bread slices toast bread, leftover hot dog or hamburger buns
- Beat eggs in a shallow bowl.
- Add a pinch of salt and mix together.
- Add ½ tbsp of oil to the frying pan and heat oil on medium temp.
- Check that oil is ready by dropping a small amount of egg mixture into the pan. If it sizzles, oil is ready for cooking.
- Use any sliced toast bread or even hot dog buns and hamburger buns.
- Dip a slice of bread into egg mixture to coat on one side and then quickly flip on to the other side. Remove from egg mixture promptly. Avoid letting bread sit in the egg mixture otherwise it will be soggy.
- Leave slices to cook for 1-2 minutes until golden colored. Flip and cook on the other side.
- Remove from the pan and place on the plate.
- Serve with syrup or jam.
Looking for More Breakfast Ideas?
- Classic crepe recipe
- Waffle cookies
- Apple cinnamon buns
- Moist banana bread
- Easy egg salad
- Chocolate cherry smoothie bowl
Like it? Pin it for later!