A delicious and moist sponge cake wrapped tightly into a delicious swiss roll dessert with a smooth and creamy chocolate Nutella spread filling.
Homemade Nutella Swiss Roll Recipe
With five grandkids under the age of fourteen, Nutella chocolate spread has been a staple ingredient in our mom’s house for well, 14 years. And as a result, nutella is used along side many of our most popular recipes, such as our classic crepes (or palecinke as we call them) and simple 3-ingredient french toast.
And if a chocolate filling is not for you, simply change up the recipe by substituting the chocolate spread with sweet plum or peach jam. The steps for making the sponge cake are the same regardless of the filling. The secret to a rolled sponge cake that is free of cracks and breaks is to pre-roll the cake just after is comes out of the oven. This will help to loosen the cake keeping it in tact once the filling is added afterwards.
Nutella Swiss Roll Recipe
- 6 eggs separated
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 6 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Icing sugar, sifted
- Separate eggs: one bowl for egg whites and the other bowl for egg yolks.
- Mix egg whites on high speed for 5 minutes in large mixing bowl.
- In a different mixing bowl, combine yolks and sugars until sugar is well dissolved.
- Add oil and cold water.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking powder with flour.
- Continue mixing at the lowest speed. Add flour mixture slowly spoon by spoon.
- Similarly, add the egg white mixture spoon by spoon and mix slowly until all combined.
- Place parchment paper inside a 9×13 pan and then grease well with oil.
- Pour the batter and level in the pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes at 370F.
- Remove from the oven and flip the pan on top of a clean tea towel so the parchment paper side is up. Put the pan aside.
- Peel off the paper.
- With the towel, roll the sponge cake to help loosen and prevent it from cracking afterwards.
- Leave it too cool completely in a rolled position.
- When cool, unroll and then spread nutella on top.
- Then roll again without a tea towel.
- Place in the fridge for one hour.
- Remove and sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar to serve.
More Bite-Size Desserts
For more sweet-tooth satisfying treats, check out these tasty bite-size dessert recipes:
- Palačinke Rolls with Nutella
- Croatian Kiflice (Jam Filled Crescent Cookies)
- Slatka Salama (No-Bake Rolled Wafer Cookies)
- Chocolate Meringue Cookies
- Croatian Peach Cookies
- Mini Chocolate Dessert Cups
Thankyou so much for stopping by to visit! We hope you find joy in making this sweet dessert.
Like it? Pin it for later?