A simple combination of potatoes, flour, egg and salt, is all that’s needed to make tasty and satisfying homemade gnocchi. Once mastered, it’ll easily become a favorite alternative recipe to pasta, rice or other potato side dish.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Should you chose to purchase through these links we make a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure here.
Making a Homestyle Potato Gnocchi Recipe
Originating from Italian cuisine, gnocchi is best described as a form of dumpling. They are small pieces of dough made with potato and usually cut into oblong shapes with creases formed by a gnocchi paddle. However, we purposely made this batch of gnocchi without showing it’s possible to make even without all the tools.
It definitely takes on more of a homestyle look and feel, with all the taste and flavor of a classic buttery gnocchi dish.
Homestyle Potato Gnocchi Recipe
- 1 kg white potatoes peeled and cut into smaller pieces
- 2.5 cups flour all purpose
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- Cook potatoes until soft in salted water.
- Drain and mash the potatoes until there are no lumps.
- Combine flour with salt in a separate bowl.
- Add flour mixture slowly to the mashed poatoes and continue mixing.
- When flour is almost well mixed in, add egg and mix altogether.
- Divide dough into 8 parts in equal size. Roll out on a floured surface with hands to form logs about ½” diameter.
- Cut into 1” long pieces.
- Boil a large pot of salted water (3L) and add gnocchi.
- Cook on high for 3-4 minutes.
- Put in a frying pan with heated 3-4 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter. Sautee for 1 minute.
- Serve immediately.
What to Serve with Potato Gnocchi
Feel free to serve potato gnocchi with almost anything! It’s especially delicious with saucy meals such as this classic beef goulash, sauteed vegetable stew or these classic stuffed peppers. We’ve shown the gnocchi served with non breaded beef-schnitzel so we’ll share the recipe for that soon!
We hope you enjoy this potato gnocchi recipe! Please let us know which main dish you love to serve your homestyle gnocchi along side in the comments below.
Like it? Pin it for later!