Yesterday we picked up our first crop of fresh strawberries from one of our favourite local farms. The “ever-berry” plants were imported by the farmer from California and now that they’ve started, will continue producing fruit well into October.
While we have big plans for more of the strawberries in the coming weeks (e.g. jams, baked goods, cocktails) we wanted to enjoy this first batch fresh. After devouring a bunch, we made a simple summer greens fresh salad with an olive oil and rice vinaigrette.
We used the veggies we have in our garden (green and purple kale, Boston lettuce, beet greens and cucumber) but you can use whichever you have/like most. As we described in a recent post beet greens are very nutritious and have more iron than spinach. The strawberries added to the salad are high in vitamin C which helps the body absorb more of the iron. We also enjoy the texture combination of the tougher kale and beet greens with the tender Boston lettuce and strawberries. The cucumbers provide that yummy juicy crunch!
Simple Strawberry and Kale Salad
- 1 large leaf each of green and purple kale
- 4-5 beet leaves
- handful of Boston lettuce leaves
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 tbsps rice vinegar
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder or crushed fresh garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry the lettuce and kale.
- Break up the greens into bite sized pieces.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients and toss. Enjoy!
Do you have a favourite strawberry salad recipe?