Don’t let those roast turkey leftovers go to waste with this delicious recipe for making a batch of turkey cannelloni made up of a satisfying meat filling rolled inside a flat noodle and baked in a creamy, smooth sauce.
Delicious, Mouth-Watering Turkey Cannelloni
The combination of ingredients make for a perfect mix of sweet and sour all packed neatly inside a rolled lasagna noodle. Although we typically use those lasagna noodles for making traditional meat lasagns or even our super easy skillet lasagna, I do love this option for using leftover roast turkey, especially after the holidays.
As an alternative, spinach could also be added in to the filling giving this turkey cannelloni added flavor, texture and color. Simply chop the spinach (about 1 cup) and add it to the egg and turkey mixture just before transferring spoonfuls of the filling on to the flat lasagna noodles.
Similar to a classic lasagna recipe, you will need a glass baking dish, about 9×13 in size. These proportions serve 6-8 people generously.
Best Ever Leftover Turkey Cannelloni
- 9×13 glass baking pan
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 cups finely chopped cooked turkey breast
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 1 cup butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken or turkey broth
- 1 cup milk
- 4 slices of swiss cheese or ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
- Lasagna noodles x9 or canneloni noodles.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to packaging, add a bit of vegtable oil to the water while cooking to prevent noodles from sticking afterwards.
- Strain the noodles when ready and pour cold water over top to cool down so the noodles can be handled.
- Cut noodles in half.
Preparing the filling
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a frying pan.
- Add onions and a pinch of salt and cook for about 6 minutes to release the flavors. Continue mixing.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl and then add in the cheeses and pepper in to the bowl to mix together. Add the chopped turkey and the cooked onions into the bowl and mix well.
- Pour most of the pasta sauce into the glass baking pan, leaving just enough sauce aside to sprinkle on top before baking.
- Transfer a full spoon of filling on to the lasagna noodle and roll the filling inside. Place inside the pan with the overlapping edge facing down. Continue until all noodles are filled and placed inside the pan, about 16-18 pieces.
Prepare cream sauce.
- Put butter in frying pan on med heat, add flour and mix making a roux. When the colour appears a bit brown, add broth and milk slowly.
- Continue mixing until smooth. Add in the cheese and continue mixing until melted. Cook for 2-3 minutes, the sauce will thicken.
Assembling the Turkey Cannelloni
- Pour the cream sauce over top of the rolled noodles. Sprinkle some leaftover pasta sauce over top for color.
- Add some chopped parsley on top if desired.
- Cook uncovered cannelloni in oven at 350F for 40 minutes.
More Ways to Use Leftover Turkey
Interested in other ways to use up leftover turkey? Consider these tasty options for turning one meal into two:
- Savory Baked Turkey Crepes
- Delicious Cabbage Soup
- roast turkey sandwiches with fresh homemade white bread
Thanks so much for stopping by to visit. Happy cooking!
Like it? Pin it for later!