Combining crispy bacon and savory eggs with spaghetti noodles to make the best pasta carbonara recipe at home when both time and ingredients are limited.
Tasty Pasta Carbonara
I have always considered pasta carbonara the perfect meal to make when there’s “no other food in the house”. And of course, I don’t mean for this to sound like it’s a last resort meal! Most often than not, ingredients that are left remaining in the fridge towards the end of a grocery week happen to be eggs and bacon. So instead of preparing a classic bacon and eggs meal for dinner (which is not weird!), this easy to make pasta carbonara is a wonderful alternative.
Both satisfying and delicious, this dish not only hits the spot, it cooks up really quick on the stove top in under 30 minutes. In fact, it is a dish I learned to make when I was a student many years ago. Since then I’ve modified it to suit my families taste preferences, using minced fresh organically grown garlic instead of garlic powder and other such tweaks.
Few Cooking Tips
- Save the oil from the bacon pan.
- Add more and less than the recommended 3-4tbsp of bacon oil to your pasta if desired after tasting.
- Work quickly when combining ingredients.
- To ensure the raw eggs cook fully, the spaghetti noodles must still be hot when pouring the bacon oil and mixed eggs over top.
The Best Pasta Carbonara Recipe
- ¾ lb bacon
- spaghetti noodles enough for serving 4 people
- 1 clove garlic
- 3-4 tbsp oil from cooked bacon or more if desired
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- chives chopped (optional)
- pepper to taste
- Cook bacon on a frying pan until well done. Remove bacon from pan and place on a paper towel lined plate to cool down.
- Remove hot pan from heat but keep excess oil left in the frying pan for adding to spaghetti dish.
- When bacon is cool enough to touch, break it into small pieces or chop with a knife.
- Cook spaghetti according to package instructions, 8-10 minutes in boiling water.
- In the meantime, chop a clove of garlic and beat 3 eggs in a small bowl.
- When spaghetti is just about finished, place chopped garlic into the bacon oil and heat up on low until the garlic turns golden.
- Strain the spaghetti and return it to the cooking pot and back on the stove. Set to low temperature and work quickly while spaghetti noodles are still hot, add the beaten eggs, 3-4 tbsp of bacon oil with garlic and stir until combined on low heat.
- Remove from heat as soon as the egg is cooked.
- Stir in parmesan cheese along with dash of pepper.
- Top with chives and serve.
More Pasta Dishes You’ll Want to Try:
If you enjoy pasta carbonara, you’ll love any one of these other hearty and complete, easy to make pasta dishes.
Like it? Pin it for later!