A quick and easy meal idea for the work week, this no-fuss skillet lasagna recipe has all the goodness and flavor of a baked lasagna but can be prepared in half the time.
No-Fuss Skillet Lasagna
In addition to the reduced time it takes to prepare, this simple lasagna recipe can be made using just one pan. Yes, that’s right, one pan equals less dishes to do afterwards! We’re big fans of meals that use only one pot to cook such as this hearty flat beans and pork stew recipe.
We prefer to use regular lasagna noodles and cook them according to the instructions on the packaging versus using a package of ready-made lasagna noodles. Although they are quicker, often the ready-made noodles don’t soften in time and lack the flavor of classic noodles. If you wish to use the quicker method, we’d recommend submerging the ready-made noodles in boiling watr for two minutes before assembling the rest of the dish.
Once cooked fully, this dish can be served immediately or saved for another night. The sauce will thicken and the flavors will enhance making it a wonderful leftover dish for the family to enjoy.
Easy Skillet Lasagna Recipe
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 8 fully cooked lasagna noodles broken into 1 to 2 inch pieces
- 1 650ml pasta sauce marinara
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Italian seasoning to taste
Preparing the Noodles
- Break up the lasagna noodles into smaller pieces before placing them in hot water too cook.
- Cook the lasagna noodles in water as per packaging instructions. Remove from heat and strain, reserving 4 cups of water for the sauce.
- Alternatively, you can also use ready-made lasagna noodles but be sure to let them soak in boiling water for 1-2 minutes to soften before assembling the skiller lasagna.
Preparing the Skillet Lasagna
- Cook the ground beef and garlic clove in a large skillet on medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until the ground beef is browned.
- Add the green peppers and cook until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add the jar of pasta sauce and reserved water on top of the meat mixture and mix together.
- Remove the majority of the mixture from the skillet and place in a large bowl, leaving just enough meat/sauce mixture in the bottom of the pan.
- Take 1/3 of broken pieces of the cooked lasagna and place them in the skillet on top of the remaining mixture.
- Top with ½ cup of the shredded cheese, 2 tbsp each parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Continue layering the meat sauce with the noodles and the cheeses until all ingredients are back in the skillet.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese; cover.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Remove from heat; uncover.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Optional: if using a cast iron, the skillet lasagna can be baked in oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
If you’d prefer to make a traditional meat lasagna, we also have that tasty recipe on the blog.
Serve Alongside These Delicious Salads
Lasagna dishes pair perfectly with a side of salad so give any one of these tasty salad recipes a try!
- Iceburg wedge Salad
- Spring mix salad
- Sliced tomato salad
- Yellow pole bean salad
- Strawberry and kale salad
Thank you so much for stopping by!
Like it? Pin it for later!