I recently started making smoothies for breakfast before starting my work day and this chocolate cherry smoothie bowl recipe has quickly become one of my favourites!
It’s packed full of tasty goodness and nutritious ingredients. You can easily adjust the flavours by swapping out the toppings, such as the fresh sliced cherries, chocolate chips, granola, sliced banana or shredded coconut. And include some chia seeds for added fiber and protein content (see our zombie brain breakfasts cereal for some chia seed nutrition facts). We also started adding chia seeds to our classic crepe batter recipe; which is a breakfast staple in our family.
My daughter enjoys a portion of the smoothie, which always delights me. Sometimes those eggo waffles or nutella sandwiches just don’t provide the nutritional value I’d like her to get. If you also have a resistent fruit eater, try out Zombie brains breakfast ice cream (a.k.a. frozen spinach smoothie recipe).
Chocolate Cherry Smoothie Bowl Recipe
- 2 frozen sliced bananas
- 3/4 cup frozen pitted cherries
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 3 medjool dates pitted
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vegan protein powder optional
- Blend all ingredients (except toppings) in a blender or food processor, using a spatula to scrape down the sides as needed, until thick and creamy. Don’t overblend. Scrape into 1 large bowl or 2 small bowls and add toppings. Serve immediately.
What ingredients do you like to include in your smoothies?
Like it? Pin it for Later!