Add a little red, white and blue to your summer celebrations with these delicious and simple cherry almond sugar cookies.
I know what you’re thinking: what do these girls know about red, white and blue? They’re Canadian after all!
While yes, we do love to celebrate Canada day and have over a dozen last-minute decorating ideas to try, we also appreciate the 4th of July festivities enjoyed by our family and friends south of the border.
Also red, white and blue are also the national colors of our family heritage: Croatian! We often decorate with red, white and blue over the summer as we gather with friends and family. So this cookie idea is doubly patriotic and fun to make when we get together.
Related: Snow Capped Pecan Shortbread Cookies
Grab this yummy cookie recipe, then scroll on down to see additional 4th of July party ideas from our fellow blogging friends!
Red, White and Blue Cherry Almond Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups unbleached white flour plus extra for hands
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 24 maraschino cherries without stems
- blue gel food coloring
- parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350
- Drain cherries well and dry on a paper towel, patting the top to dry as much as possible.
- Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment (or a hand mixer), beat butter and sugar on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add egg, almond and vanilla extracts, flour, baking powder and salt. Mix about 30 seconds, or until combined.
- Separate mixture in half, into two bowls. Add blue food coloring to one half.
- Place both bowls of dough into refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Take dough out of refrigerator and sprinkle dough onto table and hands.
- Take about 1 tsp of each color, press together, and gently roll into a ball, taking care to keep colors separate.
- Place on cookie sheet and gently press the center of each cookie ball with your thumb. Add a cherry to each thumbprint.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes, until edges are golden brown. Cool on cookie sheet.
These cookies are perfect to put out for a 4th of July party, summer BBQ or potluck.
Additional Fourth of July Party Ideas!
For additional fourth of July decorating ideas check out these creative ideas from some of our favourite blogging friends:
How to Plan the Perfect Fourth of July Picnic with Mama Dares to DIY
4th of July Desserts by Kippi At Home
Fourth of July Cupcakes by Art and Home
Drinks and DIY Dollar Decor by Redneck Rhapsody
4th of July Centerpiece with Drops of Jupiter for You
Red, White and Blue Almond Cookies by Sustain My Cooking Habit (that’s us!)
Patriotic Tablecloth from Bandanas by Our Crafty Mom
Easy Fourth of July Crafts for Toddlers from The Irish Twins Momma
Easy 4th of July Tablescape by Southern Yankee DIY
DIY Patriotic Pinwheels by Weekend Craft
How do you celebrate your national holiday?
Like it? Pin it for later!